About Me

My photo
I am a 40 something female who has a great love for crafts...any crafts. I love quilting, I collect fabrics, books and patterns. I enjoy traditional patterns in bright colors. My favorite fabrics are batiks and brights. Because I am a great collector...I now have a stash that is out of control. My goal for the upcoming year is to reduce my stash. I won't stop collecting so I need to become more productive.

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Barbara Olson Visits The Guild



With great pleasure we hosted Barbara Olson at the guild on Thursday. Her lecture and quilts were an inspiration. Her use of color was outstanding.




I was fortunate to take two workshops with Barbara. Jump Start you Creativity and Cosmic Spirals. The spirals are interesting....foundation piecing. She uses Sulky Totally Stable as her foundation...hard initially to use but I like it a lot better than freezer paper or paper. The picture above is Cosmic Spirals by Barbara Olsen. It will be a long long time before my wall hanging is photographed. I did finish up the black and white spiral for the top block...only!




The above wallhanging is Barbara's Wild Thing. This is a machine appliqued project. She used glue stick and the blanket stitch. She uses Invisible Thread (smoke) Monopoly and Bottom Line in the bobbin.

If any of you have a Viking....my $6,000 sewing machine doesn't like glue stick. I love the control you have with the glue stick...but I wonder if I could use spray starch or something else instead. Exposing my machine to that much glue kind of makes me nervous. Barbara assured me that cleaning the needle with an alcohol swab and also cleaning it after each bobbin change would be enough...hmmm.

Hugs and Blessings!

Traci

1 comment:

Betsy said...

lovely. from a book or a class?